Round’s descendants occupied the Round’s House, built in 1895 by Fayette Rounds, until the death of Hilah Rounds in 2001. It was one of the first homes in western Broome County with indoor plumbing and the first Vestal home with a telephone. Located at 3 Pumphouse Road, it was carefully restored by the previous owner and was, for a time, “Timber Creek Sportsman Shop”. The Rounds House is only one of two remaining historic building in the Town of Vestal. It is an attractive site with a carriage house and a number of large trees adding to its ambiance. As such, the Town required a ‘Certificate of Appropriateness’ and assurance that there would be no alterations to the exterior that would affect the building or site’s historic charm.
The builder contacted Doak Engineering Design, PC to develop the ‘Certificate of Appropriateness’, design the renovations and develop the construction plans and specifications required for the work and code compliance. The critical element of this project was the significant amount of structural work required for the first floor to support the code-required loadings.
The Town accepted the ‘Certificate of Appropriateness’ and the plans and specifications were developed and delivered on time and within budget for the contractor to complete the project in the time frame stipulated by the owner
location: Vestal, Ny
Client: David Muench
Year Completed: 2009
Estimated Project Cost: $1.0M